Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 5-Feels Like A Long Way Around

Blame it on the Force.   Last year Karl and I began watching the series Long Way Around chronicling the adventures of Ewan McGreagor and Charlie Boorman as they traveled around the world on motorcycles....from London to NY...via Mongolia.....  The sequel Long Way Down where they went from London to the tip of South Africa was good too....  but it gave us the bug.  So this was our baby step version...  From Ouray, CO and back....also known as the San Juan Scenic Byway Loop.... 

We woke up this morning and fixed biscuits and gravy....yes, in a bag.   They were really good and the biscuits were really biscuits.  Don't ask me how.  While Karl cooked, I read 1 Kings 18 and 19 outloud...we saw a shirt in Silverton yesterday with that scripture reference  1 Kings 18:44 that claimed God told us to ride....he clearly prefers two wheeled vehicles.  Well.... it's talking about a chariot there.....  I guess motorcycles are like chariots....two wheels powered by a lot of horses.....  I didn't buy the shirt but thought it was funny....and we got to review the story of Elijah and Ahab. 

We started at 8am because I had to wait till the store opened to buy some Benydryl anti itch stick.  Seems those annoying gnats that kept us company at Canyon de Chelly bit and bit hard.  We've both got nasty itchy bites on our , arms, necks and legs.  Whew.  A bit of relief.

We drove north to Ridgline and cut west and over a mountain to Telluride.  Let's say it again, shall we?  "Wow.  Look at that.  Crazy Beautiful."  I felt a little guily pulling over to put on my other jacket and non mesh gloves as it was a bit "chilly".....fully appreciating that it is 110 at home.



We pulled in to Telluride and drove through the town up to the dead end where you can see the waterfalls.  We met a family from Missouri who gave us the heads up on the free gondola ride in town that goes to the mountain village.  As we were pulling out we noticed some wildflowers near an Aspen tree and I spent a bit of time taking pics with Karl's new camera.  Sweet.  I think we'll fame one for our souvenier picture when we get home. 





Can I just take a moment and say how cool it is that God has thought up such beautiful things?  What an artist!  It is so fun to ride in the middle of this big playground He has designed for us and give Him all the praise.  Sometimes I just need to sing as loud as  I can.  Acoustics aren't bad in my helmet either.

We found a place to park the bikes and shed the gear.  The donut cart guy gave us change for the meter thingy so we felt obligated to buy some fresh donuts with powdered sugar to enjoy on the way up the enclosed gondola.  It's wind powered and completely FREE.  What a deal.  Drop dead views of the valley and the town.  We stayed on at the top and ventured down the other side to the village.  It was fun to walk around and see how the rich people ski....or would ski if it was winter. We enjoyed sharing a sandwich and soup and taking in the views. 

As we took the gondola back up we got off at the top to hike around....alas....the trails are all CLOSED.  And why you ask?  It is TOO WET.  They had a late winter and everything is still soggy and they're afraid people will mess up things.  That is too funny when most of AZ is closed because it is too dry.  



We took a little time to see enjoy the view.  With the binoculars I could even spot Karl's motorcycle and his very safety conscious yellow jacket on the back all the way from the top. 

Upon descending we walked around the main street.  We thought we had struck gold when we found a restaurant/bar called The Llama.  We went in to buy Skylar a shirt but they hadn't come back from the printers.  Sorry Skye,  all you get is a matchbook. 

Leaving Telluride we headed south to Dolores.  More beautiful leany turns as the road followed the river all the way down.  Wishing our trip intersected with Kristen Cooke and the boys who will be in Dolores next week.  Maybe another time.

From Dolores we cut across to Mancos.  We spotted a herd of buffallo off to the side.  Flashbacks to Yellowstone.  Way cool.  I was excited when we passed the turnoff to San Juan Bible Camp.....  so many good memories of high school church camp.  That is where I fell in love with these mountains.  backpacking, rafting, repelling....  Many thanks to Tim and Dixie Reed for making those years so special. 

Once in Mancos it was just a quick jaunt into Durango.  4:30.  Back to Steamworks for THE BOIL.  Just as good as I was hoping it would be.  Cajun spice is still on my lips. 

We left Durango right at 5:30 for the two hour drive back to Ouray.  Funny how 70 miles can take 2 hours but it totally does.  Switchbacks, hairpins, the whole bit.  We'll never be accused of being idiots who take too many risks.  We definitately ride within our comfort zone. 

We rolled in to Ouray 11 and a half hours after we left. 236 miles.....and those are NOT interstate miles. Quick shower.  Cup of tea....and an ice cream bar.  It just doesn't get any better than this. 


Hopefully we'll have more pictures to share when we can upload them faster than 1 every 20 minutes.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment